The Senior Scientist – R&D, will run scientific projects. The role responsibilities will be to:
- Drive and lead the in vitro assay development of novel Organ-on-a-chip models from idea to publication, with a focus on models of the liver to be used in drug discovery in the pharmaceutical industry.
- Provide fully costed and planned projects and active use of project management tools to track budgets and schedules.
- Provide support in collaborative projects with academic or industrial partners on specific model development projects
- Being responsible for all aspects of running experiments including upkeep of the lab, maintaining stocks, record keeping, updating protocols and maintaining good health and safety practices.
Reporting to the Lead Scientist – R&D, your responsibilities will be:
- Optimisation of existing and development of new and novel Organ-on-a-chip assays.
- Rigorous analysis and interpretation of experiments and presentation of data in numerous formats.
- Maintain laboratory stocks and inventory management systems.
- Ensure all experiments are correctly recorded and data integrity is maintained to a high standard.
- Communicate progress, successes and challenges with the R&D team, commercial team and wider company when required.
- Represent the organisation through the delivery of presentations and posters at conferences and speak knowledgeably about CN Bio’s products and the scientific areas in which we work.
- Provide technical input and training to customers and potential customers if required, in order to ensure that the benefits and potential of the products are well understood.
- Contribute material to peer-reviewed publications, presentations, application notes and webinars.
Qualifications and Experience:
- PhD (or MSc plus 5 years industry research experience) in biology, bioengineering or related life-sciences subject.
- Experience in 3D biology models.
- Expertise in developing advanced human model systems with experience in models of the liver e.g., healthy, or multicellular liver disease models.
- Experience in human liver models for drug ADME/DMPK studies.
- At least 3 years experience working in life sciences (Biotech, Pharma, Medical Devices) with an understanding of the drug discovery process, and the pharmaceutical industry.
- Strong interpersonal and communication (oral and written) skills.
- Expertise in a broad array of relevant lab techniques (molecular biology, immunoassays, cell-based assays). Strong expertise in primary human cell culture, and confocal microscopy.
- Highly analytical, able to interpret complex sets of data with excellent attention to detail.
- Problem-solver who uses experience to identify problems and develop proposed solutions that minimise risk and ensure delivery.
- High standard of computer literacy, particularly relating to Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Self-motivated, confident, reliable, open-minded and enthusiastic.
- Demonstrates a high level of regard for Health & Safety and compliance with defined procedures.
- A genuine team player, providing support to your colleagues with a proactive and friendly attitude, and able to work autonomously as required.
- Flexible and able to respond in a fast-evolving organisation.
Must be eligible to work in the UK at the time of application (visa or settlement scheme).
- Full-time/Permanent (37.5hrs/week)
- Salary: £40k – £45k
- Company benefits package
- Eligibility to participate in the discretionary company bonus scheme
- Participation in the company pension scheme
- Private Healthcare
- Life Assurance
- Income Protection
- Bike Scheme
We are a close-knit team of passionate scientists, engineers and creative thinkers, all working together towards our shared goal – a future where drugs are discovered more quickly, brought to patients more cost-effectively and through the use of less animal experimentation.
Day to day, our cohesive teams design, manufacture, promote and support organ-on-a-chip solutions that enable our customers to do something incredible – recreate three-dimensional human organs and tissues in the laboratory to better understand human physiology, disease and the effectiveness of new drugs.
If you are thinking of joining us, our values define who we are, describe our culture and shape what we aspire to be. They can be found here https://cn-bio.com/careers/
Apart from the agency already appointed for this search, recruitment agencies are respectfully asked not to approach the company with candidates for this role.
Apply for role
Email anonymised CV with cover letter (i.e. removing name and gender to ensure fair selection) to:
The deadline for applications is the 30/09/23.
Applicants must have the right to work in the UK. We are an inclusive employer and value a diverse workforce.